Twenty year old Ms. Manushi Chhillar was crowned by Miss World 2016 winner, Miss Puerto Rico Stephanie Del Valle,among 118 contestants from various countries at a glittering event held at Sanya City Arena in Sanya, China, on Saturday. Andrea Meza, Miss Mexico, was crowned first runner-up and Stephanie Hill, Miss England, second runner-up.
Reita Faria was the first Indian woman to win the title in 1966. After Ms Faria, Aishwariya Rai Bachchan won the Miss World title in 1994. After that, Diana Haydon was crowned Miss World in 1997, followed by Yukta Mookhey in 1999 and Priyanka Chopra in 2000. Ms Chhillar is from the state of Haryana. by Taboola Sponsored Links
10 things you should know about the new Miss World 2017
- Manushi Chhillar has studied medicine and she wants to be a cardiac surgeon.
- Ms Chhillar plans to open non-profit hospitals in rural areas.
- She is also an advocate for menstrual hygiene. According to news agency ANI, who spoke to Ms Chhillar’s coach Rita Gangwani, Ms Chhillar feels the issue of menstrual hygiene is very important.
- She studied in St Thomas School in New Delhi and Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women in Sonepat, Haryana, according to news agency IANS.
- Manushi Chhillar is a trained Indian classical singer.
- She also loves outdoor sports and is passionate about adventures sports like scuba diving, snorkelling and bungee jumping.
- Ms Chhillar’s father, Dr Mitra Basu Chhillar, is a scientist at the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
8.Her mother Dr Neelam Chhillar is an associate professor and department head of neurochemistry at the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences.
9.Her personal mottos, are “When you cease to dream you cease to live” and “Courage to give flight to your dreams and the ability to believe in yourself makes life worth living”.
10. After reaching the top five, Ms Chhillar was asked during the Question and Answer round, which profession she thought deserved the highest salary and why. In her reply, she said her mother was the biggest inspiration in her life and mothers were worthy of the highest respect.